Many people have asked us what they should be telling their churches. Maybe this can be a starting point for your missions council:
ASK ABWE …
1. To release the Simms Showers report without victim names. (This should include how many people were contacted and interviewed, so you can determine how thorough it actually was.) To inform current and sending churches only is not enough. All churches who supported these men, should know. Beyond that, we believe their former coworkers must know and any other affiliations they hold, such as GARBC.
2. Ask for proof of how each alleged pedophile has been handled: proof they have been let go, proof they have been reported to authorities.
3. Ask if the mission fields where each man served have been investigated. The national children matter as much as MKs. Please do not allow ABWE to overlook this vital step.
4. Ask when they will give the Bengali pastors a proper investigation. There are many allegations of sexual misconduct and missionaries turning blind eyes and continuing to give paychecks–your money–to the pastors. This matter must be resolved. Those they have wounded deserve justice as well.
5. Ask what has been done with any administrative missionaries who mishandled these cases of missionary child sexual abuse in the past. Again, names and proof that they have been handled and are no longer on payroll.
And as many of you have asked, “Should we stop sending money to ABWE?” etc., our answer, as always, must be that we do not want innocent missionaries stranded on the other side of the world. Do what you can to make sure your missionaries are supported, even if you choose to no longer send your money to the home office.
Lastly, encourage your missionaries to become educated about this matter. Remind them how important this matter is for THEIR children. It is not ancient history until ABWE’s behavior changes.